Saturday, February 28, 2009

Random

For the first time in my experience of travelling in buses (which isn't much), when I thanked the bus conductor for giving me my ticket, he actually replied with a "You are welcome". I was so taken aback that I couldn't suppress a smile which elicited a smile from the conductor himself. Thus, an unspoken, mutual feeling of goodwill permeated through me making me comfortable throughout the journey despite my precarious position right at the front with the possibility of being thrown through the windshield should the driver suddenly feel inclined to stomp on the breaks!!

Observing the conductor, I got to thinking, despite his humble employment, he could be well educated given his good turnout and general demeanor, and sometime during the ride he shouts out "Right!!" in a very stylish and accented way to the driver who is barely 4 feet away from him (wonder how the word "Right" came to be used in such a context, in what way could it possibly mean that the driver can now move the bus?!).

Here is a picture of our etiquette-conscious bus conductor busy at work!



Reminded me of another interesting individual I came across while in Bangalore last year. He works at the Kamat Hotel near Commercial Street, Shivajinagar.
To use the word "waiter" to describe his occupation seems an insult to him. Hence, let's say he is a steward there and caters to the A/C room guests. You would find him in the corner deep in conversation with the cashier. A small man by stature, with active and lively eyes, dressed in the colours of a steward's uniform, shirt falling nearly to his knees, pants folded at the bottom and dangling about his ankles, chappals, and a towel thrown casually on his left shoulder.

Why he stood out among the people of his ilk is because of the seriousness and sincerity with which he performed his duties, scurrying around like a busy bee. He obviously looks at the bigger picture that goes beyond, and hence blurs into insignificance, his day-to-day seemingly menial duties. He caters with a ready, genuine smile and is open to feed back, accepts his faults, is proactive with good people skills and a joyful demeanor that certainly seems contagious!

I've made repeated visits to the hotel, while in the vicinity, in the hopes of being honoured by his service, only to find him catering elsewhere with similar earnestness no less!

1 comment:

Zaphod Beeblebrox said...

Kamat hotel ... will give it a shot ...:-) nice post ...really enjoyed it

Shades of you...

On a balmy Thursday afternoon, I decided to step out for some sunlight and groceries. Blue eyeliner, lip gloss, and some jewelry…the first t...