Thursday, September 11, 2008

...

In the Bible, one would find many verses in the Greek Scriptures (also known as the New Testament) with nothing except for a dash or a blank space. These "dashes" or blank spaces are known as "ellipsis" (pl. ellipses).

Oxford defines "ellipsis" - omission of words needed to complete construction or sense; set of three dots etc. indicating such omission.

It is said that, these blank spaces or dashes were instances when Jesus was overwhelmed by emotions so much so that he was at a loss for words, hence it speaks better than words and helps in conveying the meaning intended!!! The power of imagination is such a great tool!!!

These days a lot of us use ellipses in the form of dots... (here I go again), in fact, I used a lot of them in my first blog and came about writing this blog trying to explain why I did that.....perhaps I was at a loss for words....or maybe I was just clearly confused!!! hmmm...

How far I've come since opening my blog!! I've managed three posts on the same day...and to think I was at a loss for topics to write on...

No comments:

Shades of you...

On a balmy Thursday afternoon, I decided to step out for some sunlight and groceries. Blue eyeliner, lip gloss, and some jewelry…the first t...