Thursday, September 11, 2008

Realisations - some borrowed

So many special and cherished moments in our lives. When we look back on them, we realize that most of them were really short. And we wish that they had lasted longer but we don’t realize that their shortness is what probably made us cherish them and long for them so.

I have this habit of writing down or marking lines that I found to be really intriguing in books that i read. A few such lines are -

  • "Could fulfillment be felt as deeply as loss?" - Kiran Desai in "Inheritance of loss"
  • "A face long not seen finally fades" - Orhan Pamuk in "My name is Red"
  • "The worlds that people build for themselves are an open book - people build what they never had, but always wanted" - Robert Crais in "The last detective"
  • "Somewhere in my life I got the notion that if you tried to make a business out of the thing you loved, then that thing would become a job and the love would be ruined for ever" - Jeanne Ray in "Eat Cake"
  • "Tears are more special than smile. For smile can be given to anyone, but tears are shed only for the one we love" - Anonymous

2 comments:

Zaphod Beeblebrox said...

Earlier this year while travelling to Madurai I realised I had forgotten Orhan Pamuk's 'My name is Red' on the plane. Two days later on my way back, I asked the folks in the airport if they had seen the book. There was little hope and I asked only because I was bored, jobless and was desperately looking for something to read on the way back. I was also absolutely sure that there wouldn't be any one crazy enough to want to read Pamuk in Madurai and hence might still remain unclaimed and unwanted. Little did I realise that the staff had kept it with them at the booking office in the city hoping that somebody would claim it. Divya collected it for me and ensured that I got it back safely. And it dawned on me that if somebody from non-descript Vetlapalem would want to read Pamuk then there's no reason that somebody from Veera Pandi Madurai wouldn't want to ...

Unknown said...

"Tears are more special than smiles. For smile can be given to anyone, but tears are shed only for the one we love"

Probably the reason why i couldn't summon a tear for the highway patrol cop :-)( was just trying to see if he would take pity on me if i cried and said i was sorry!!!)

Shades of you...

On a balmy Thursday afternoon, I decided to step out for some sunlight and groceries. Blue eyeliner, lip gloss, and some jewelry…the first t...